Saturday, April 30, 2011

Happiness

Today, is a good day.

I feel like I need to post. Share my joy, if you will.

My brother called me earlier. He and I hadn't spoken in nearly 3 years.

(A little background, in case you're interested...
My mom lost custody of him when he was 9 years old.
She had gotten mixed up in things that most people in their late 30's don't even think about, when you're a teenager, maybe, but as an adult, with 2 kids, no. Have I forgiven her, yes, will I ever forget or trust her again, no.
He is 15 now. He had to relocate to Ohio to live with his father...(not even his biological father, but that's a whole other post all in itself) Anyhow, so, she lost custody of him, and he went to live with his dad. He was so young, and the things my (our) mother was doing kind of messed him up a bit. He had to deal with things that kids his age shouldn't. Once he got to Ohio he started acting out, running away, setting things on fire....needless to say he went to a juvenile correction facility more than once, and finally ended up being a ward of the state and living in a group home for troubled boys. That's where he is now. But according to his step-mom, God bless her, he is doing much better, not getting into trouble, his grades are up, all kinds of good things. Praise God.)

Ok, now that that is out of the way. He and I talked for 15 minutes, which when you think about it, isn't long at all, but before when we would talk he never had anything to say, and it always ended up being a 2 to 5 minute conversation. But he was young, and when young boy wants to talk on the phone when they could be doing much cooler things?! We really talked today. It was fantastic. We talked about movies, life, school, the future, so much. His voice is so deep! He grew up and I missed it. But I'm not going to dwell on what I missed, I'm going to look forward to the future he has before him, and have faith that he is finally on the right track.

I love him, and I miss him so much. But I could not be happier that I got to talk to him. It was a great surprise.

Hope you all enjoy your weekend, I know I will. <3

1 comment:

Megan said...

That's so great that you got to talk to your brother.

Obviously I don't know details, and your family situation is your business, but try to be there for your brother. It sounds like he's had it pretty rough, and I'm sure he may feel a little lost. He needs to know he has someone who loves him :)